Tuesday 19 November 2013

MADIBA

Hello! Or should I say Aweh! I am still here in South Africa and couldn't be enjoying myself more!

This week I met up with Johnny for dinner. He let me in on the fact that Nelson Mandela day was coming up and invited me to celebrate with his friends and family. I could obviously not pass this opportunity up, so I joined them on July 18th to celebrate Madiba.

The timing was just about perfect as I was at Robben Island and Mandela's cell just last week and am more than eager to learn more about this fascinating and fearless man. None the less celebrate him!

This is good timing for you too as I just wrote about Mandela in my last post, so you have some background information as well, even though I am sure that just about everyone knows something about Nelson Mandela.

Mandela day is celebrated on July 18th each year. That is Mr. Mandela's birthday. People gather for festivities, concerts and to do good deeds. The motto is "Nelson Mandela dedicated 67 years for doing something good, can you dedicate 67 minutes?" 

Me and Johnny went down to the Children's Hospital in Cape Town with a bunch of toys and coloring books which we gave to the sick children, but most importantly, we spent time with them. And I saw that that was what made them the happiest. It was such a rewarding experience and I was balling when we had to leave!
Later on in the day, right before sunset, a lot of people gathered in downtown Cape Town to celebrate Madiba. There was music, dancers and people singing well known traditional chants. It was so much fun, I wish it never ended!


------
Oh my, I am just listening to the TV in my room in the background and news is on. Apparently there has been a shopping center that has collapsed in Tongaat, near Durban (eastern SA). So far they know that at least 2 people have lost their lives and dozens more injured. Please keep these people in your prayers. 



Talk to you soon!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.capetownmagazine.com/social/67-minutes-for-Mandela/118_22_18197
http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/mandela/2013/07/19/the-world-celebrated-mandela-day---photos
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/19/world/africa/south-africa-building-collapse/index.html?hpt=iaf_c1

No comments:

Post a Comment